Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Prehistoric


A friend gave me a couple of cuttings of this last Christmas, and it has grown like the dickens ... mmm ... wonder where that expression comes from.


She thinks it to be an Iris. I have googled Tall Bearded Iris and it is not one of those. The TBI is like a double bloom, hose-in-hose and this looks like a totally different kettle of fish.


It is gorgeous though. And like a creature from another world. If I can tomorrow, between the rain, I will get a photograph of the entire plant. I put it up on my outside table so that the 'fronds' can gracefully dangle. It had its first flush of blooms whilst I was away. Yet about a dozen more graced me with their presence overnight.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

This makes me think of an iris and orchid mix.

Julie said...

Yes, I can see both inheritances here, too.

Joan Elizabeth said...

Looks like an iris to me, but not a bearded iris. What a beauty.

freefalling said...

Oh it's beeyoutiful!
Not a word I use very often, but it's exquisite.
You know, I think it might be a native orchid.
I have a photo of one somewhere - I'm gunna try and find it.

freefalling said...

oh no.
not a native orchid.
not enough petally bits.

freefalling said...

Not much help in naming it, but this fella has a couple of photos on it on his flickr.
He's in Costa Rica.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidcastillog/3688911592/

freefalling said...

Ta Da!
Neomarica sp. possibly gracilis, (apostle plant or walking iris)

Julie said...

Brilliant, Letty. You are a gem!

A Brazilian Walking Iris ... which is not an Iris at all, really.

Thank you so much. I seem to be getting a flush of flowers each day. They 'melt' during the night and presto a new lot take their place.

Google says they have a strong fragrance. Not floral though. Yes strong but cleansing ... a bit like Armani's 'acqua di gio' ...