Monday, July 20, 2009

Gardening semantics


In my endeavour to compose text for this post, I could not think of a word to describe the planter pot. So looked it up:
Container
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: holder for physical object
Synonyms: alembic, bag, beaker, bin, bottle, bowl, box, bucket, bunker, caisson, can, canister, canteen, capsule, carafe, carton, cask, casket, cauldron, chamber, chest, churn, cistern, cradle, crate, crock, dish, ewer, firkin, flask, hamper, hod, hopper, humidor, hutch, jar, jeroboam, jug, kettle, magnum, package, packet, pail, pit, pod, poke, pot, pottery, pouch, purse, receptacle, reliquary, repository, sac, sack, scuttle, stein, storage, tank, tub, utensil, vase, vat, vessel, vial

8 comments:

Martina said...

Don't you think this is a little bit to much pot for this small Sempervivum? ;-)

I like the metal thingy - dragonfly?

Julie said...

Sempervivum ohioan

Meaning too deep for the root system: yes, I agree.

However, it shoots up to a dozen attached plants that will dangle nicely from this type of pot and the effect is lost if the plant is potted at ground level in a horizontal planter.

I have decided to call this pot an "urn".

Joan Elizabeth said...

I looked up the dictionary for my post today too!

I notice that incredibly healthy staghorn too. The day after tomorrow you will see my very not too well elk horn ... yes following our earlier posts I know its an elk horn not a stag horn.

Yes I agree it's an urn, but only half a one, given it is on the wall.

Anonymous said...

I go with "vessel."

(I have this same urn/vessel Julie. Growing tarragon.)

Julie said...

Hah ... the brilliance of distance! You have just solved and "issue" for me, Karin. This is a narrow passageway between fence and house, made narrower by the garden bed I constructed for gardenia and daphne - compounded by baskets hanging from window bars and door knobs or simply sitting on bricks. Mostly these baskets are herbs.

Why not a wall of urned herbs, says she dusting her hands ...

Anonymous said...

Have you started on this? I love the idea. Might steal it, on a small scale.

Julie said...

ummm ...no I have not started on this yet because within a day or so of this post my landlard upped my rent by 18% and I am looking elsewhere! He lives next door and not once has he discussed it with me before or since and I am sooo pissed off! The RE agent took one look at all that I have done and reckoned that the market value was much higher. Bastard! However, I take the idea of a herbarium with moi ...

Anonymous said...

No! I'm so sorry. What ignorance. Don't they know all the charm will follow you when you go?