Monday, February 23, 2009

Rear courtyard



The owner, who lives next door, was working on this terrace as I clambered over to check it out as rentable. It suited my social-conscience, was inexpensive and had dirt. I must have dirt.

To my chagrin, he replaced the ramshackle back fence with a roller-door which is getting more onerous as the months roll on. This is the backdrop for my Sylvie - aged 9 and named for my paternal g'ma - as she listens to the wind creak the hanging baskets (geranium, mint and succulent). Behind her, in the pots, is tangible evidence of my European excursions: a tub of lime, lavender and fig. I will show you the lemon and the olives later. Christine and I have just about agreed to return to Italy in the northern spring of 2010.

3 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

What an oasis! I like the way Sylvie is looking up at the plants. I'm very fond of cats but they have started giving me hay fever so I can't even pat them anymore. Not that we have ever had any pets of our own ... our life is to random for the committment.

Julie said...

I have adored cats all my life, but there were 25 years in the middle where I had nothing or a dog! I now have two cats: Sylvie aged 9 and Sellie aged 3. Shall show you more of Sellie tomorrow: she was the one on Sydney Eye helping me change the bedclothes.

This is becoming more of an oasis: certainly in comparison with what it looked like in June 2006 when I moved from Chris' place.

Pets are a responsibility. You need an arrangement with another household to get you through, eg my daughter (Kirsten) called about 10 days ago to book her cat, Cooper, in for a stay at the end of March when she and her husband go camping up at Seal Rocks. When I went to France my cats stayed with her for 4 weeks. Neither of us could bear a cattery.

Kcalpesh said...

Once again, CATs! Best Pets! Loved this picture too!!