Thursday, February 12, 2009

A bit each way



The then or the now: what to show you?

I have plumped for the now! The main photo I took two days ago and shows my Durante. This is a tough plant to remember the name of so I simply try to recall "The Snozz" which works a treat. This bush loves the Eartha Kitt treatment: rough, rough, rough - a bit of slash and burn never goes astray! Gorgeous blooms though, hey!

The plant in the pot is the same, just not long after I bought it two years ago. It does require a lot of water and a lot of trimming come early June.

Now to my front garden which is image three. I have a terrace right? Single-fronted, one storey terrace: pocket handkerchief garden out front and ditto out back. This be the front 6 months after I moved in. By then I had dug, sieved and manured. I relaid the front path. Removed all the pie wrappers from the soil. Aerated. Dug in chook poo and lucerne mulch. And questioned my own sanity.

It is a rented dump for crying out loud ... but if you are reading the Dickensian instalments over at "Plumbing the Deeps" you realise that I was born to be of the soil. I am never happier than when up to my elbows in soil'n'shit.

2 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

You are clearly much more of a natural at gardening than me. I love gardens but struggle with the weeding, feeding and knowing what to do. I love the Durante (and a very nice photo too). I don't think I have ever seen this plant before.

Julie said...

It was new to me when I saw it at Swane's in Miranda - but I could not walk past the colour.

Growing stuff was an integral part of my growing up. As was telling the time by the sun and needing to know where north is. Both my children are as literate as they are because I would nurse them around my garden in St Ives explaining everything to them from textures of bark to leaf mould in soil. What I was actually doing was talking to the plants as much as to the kids.