Friday, December 7, 2012

Pretend, right ... ?

She has no sooner trotted in the gate, than I hear
'Play 'Guess Who', Ma?'

This has been twice a week, every week since I dragged it out from the drawer labelled '1984' in the middle of September. And at two and a half, she is a smidge young for the real rules, so it has been 'make-it-up-on-the-run' ever since. All variation upon a theme. Actually, I find it remarkable what a fine introduction GW is to set theory. No joke - find me all the people who have hats; find me all the people who have glasses; who is in both groups?

This week the GW-mob, and the Playschool-dominoes, and the Duplo-mob, and 'the three robbers + 1' all became the audience for our concert. I went first, came out from behind the curtain, and sang 'Hey Diddle Diddle' to the enthralled throng. Alannah then chose to sing (with actions from Buddy) 'Baa Baa' and 'Humpy'. She really got into the swing of it when I showered her with applause AND wild cheering on behalf of our assembled friends.

Pretending is heavily encouraged in this relationship; modelling and setting an example.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I do so love a concert.

I sang Jingle Bells with her this week and the look of amazement and delight when she realised that I knew this song. She knew the words too.

Julie said...

Going to kindy is such a treasure for a young child. I have a yarn about Rudolph and his red nose ...

diane b said...

You are the best grandma. I wish Fox could join in with you. He is loving his time at child care run by an Early childhood educator. His speech has improved in leaps and bounds.