Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lavender - lavandula dentata


There are quite a few variations upon Lavender down in the nursery. I have not investigated, but I think the lavendula may be a poor man's lavender: one not grown for cut flowers, or for oil but purely for pleasure. Corrections welcome.

The flower spike to this one is quite different for others down there.

And the container from yesterday was a gift from a couple of friends for my 60th last year. I had asked for "something old and junky" and they found this which was labelled turkish.

Baby's Breath is really gypsophila and is a bit like an incredibly small daisy.

3 comments:

Martina said...

Ah, this might be the robust form that is planted in parks etc. in the city. With very dark and compact blossoms.
thx for the info.

Joan Elizabeth said...

I hope it ends up as spectacular as the border we saw at Everglades. I used to have a lavendar border around the driveway, it looked wonderful in spring but got very straggly after 7 of 8 year so I pulled them out and gave myself something different for a change. Also the side where the Van is is much to shaded for lavendar these days.

Julie said...

This has plenty of sun, maybe too much. But as you know, it is portable. I am wary about too much watering, though.