Friday, December 11, 2009

Grass without a lawn


Joan had a clump of delightful looking silver Fescu near the entry to her driveway. The green eyes immediately glowed - I must get me some of that!

However, being a little less mobile than before, I have settled for the achievable instead. May I introduce to you two clumps of "Purple Fountain Grass" which, the label trumpets, is a Sterile Hybrid. Mmmm ... manufactured specifially for we the indescriminate consumer. If we want more, we have to buy it - not breed it.

As Diana "Bubbles" Fischer used to say, "And it comes in such lovely colours!"

6 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

What you may have missed because your green eyes were eyeing of the blue-grey fescue was the three clumps of grass nearby cut back and just beginning to sprout promisingly ... well guess what ... they are Purple Fountain Grass which I trust will be beautiful like yours again sometime before summer passes ... over winter they went a nasty dry dead grass type of colour so I chopped them off like I saw them go on the garden show, perhaps a little later than I should have. There are pictures of it here and here

diane b said...

But "is it safe for the kiddies?"
I have a grass like that, not sure of the name because I'm too lazy to learn them. However it started off like yours but it grew and grew and it is very big now. I cut it down when it gets tatty and it keeps coming back nicely.

Julie said...

Joan: yes, yes I retrieve the image in my head and can see the cut down clumps. Soo ... my label says they should be trimmed to within an inch of their life during winter.

Diane: Yes, Fischer used to say that, too. I can picture her in my mind's eye. Is she sometimes on The New Inventors as well or am I imagining that?

Joan Elizabeth said...

Good gracious she's never on the New Inventors ... she's much to old for that show. So I should have cut it in winter not spring ... well better luck for me next year.

freefalling said...

I do love a grass clump.
But makes me sneeze violently.
Have you visited
http://www.lambley.com.au/
they have some very cool grasses and other plants.

freefalling said...

Wanna feel jealous?
Check out my grass.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26217912@N06/