Monday, November 23, 2009

Now ... where was I?


This is a little treasure, which we are so lucky to have found. I say "we" because although I first found it online, it was my son-in-law who was convinced it was what I was after and who took me to check it out.

It is all on one level. The shower has space for a stool and is not over a bath. There are no internal stairs like at Glebe. It is about 5 minutes by car from Kirsten's place in Double Bay. It is about 100m from my father's nursing home and there is a bus stop right outside - important if the driving ban continues. It is the ground floor of three apartments and is entirely tiled - meaning very cool which I noted yesterday when the mercury topped 40C.

This first image is of the north facing sunroom directly inside the courtyard and exactly where I have set up my work space.


The other criteria were that I needed space for my cats and for my plants. So there is a large courtyard (which I now know to be common area but not used "much") which is tiled making it very easy to maintain - except maybe for the eucalypt droppings but the tree has such other delights that it can stay! The little "out" building across the courtyard houses the garage for apartment 3 and my laundry. In my head, this laundry is now my "shed" with all that connotes in the Australian psyche. These photos were all taken whilst waiting for the moving guys to bring my junk over from Glebe.

Tomorrow, I will start a leisurely tour showing how I have made the space my own in the last ten days.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bring it on!

The courtyard doesn't look used at all. No chairs, tables. Seems like you'll be able to commandeer a nice chunk of the space.

Martina said...

Seems like things are going back to "normal" - and ISP is back as well, :-).
So I am looking forward to seeing more of this - and commenting about the exotic appartments and things you have in Australia, ;-).

Julie said...

I have ALREADY received a letter from the agent saying that I must allow access!!

The agent told me that noone used the stairs and that the other tenants each had their own laundry. Turns out the courtyard is common property and the stairs must be kept accessible in case of fire.

I am allowed to have a setting and a pot garden just #2 must be able to water his pot at the bottom of the stairs and his bamboo 'round the front!! He and I have discussed and reached a compromise. He will empty his fish-tank water into them on Mondays (letting me know he is walking around first) and I will water on his behalf on Fridays.

I will show more later today if this misty rain clears up.

Weather is wierd. Sunday was 40C. Monday was 21C. And today will be similar. By Friday it will be back into the 30s.

Martina said...

Fish tank water??? Who empties his fish tank every week? What about the fish??? ;-)

Regarding weather and pot plants: we have a little storm right now (gusts up to 100km/h) and all my pot plants and pots and other things are scattered everywhere - no use to do anything at the moment, just wait.

Joan Elizabeth said...

It looks like you've found an ideal space and I too am looking forward to seeing the setup. I actually rather like 'nesting'.

Too right the weather has been wierd ... you'll be able to give the place an all seasons test in the space of a week.

Ann said...

Serendipitous. You've done well, but what about the "no living alone" instruction?

Julie said...

ummm ... that is a thorny one to negotiate, isn;t it? As DutchCloggie on Plumbing commented, it is characteristic that I would take that to mean living 5 minutes away from Kirsten.

My family and friends all work, so I would be alone most of the day anyway!

I have not purchased one of those "fall-alarm" things yet - and am hoping it won't come to that!

I have tests at RPA all this Thursday, see the Opthalmologist next week, the Neurologist the week after and the Cardiologist the week after that.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a patient infested with symptoms is in want of a diagnosis.

It is still drizzling here, but shall venture out in a sec and show youse the courtyard as 'tis now.