Sunday, November 29, 2009

My window on the world


Sort of came to a grinding halt last week due to medical tests and lack of money paid WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PAID!!!

But here is where I sit to do all this research and writing that I do after I have taken copious photographs. It is also where I do all my Family History work.

Next week one of my tasks is to get a new motor for the foundtain on the wall near my desk so that I can have the tinkle of water to keep me harmonised.

Tuesday, I traipse over to RPA where the very informative neurontology nurse, Alison, is going to strap me into a device that will rock from side to side and up and down. Yes, she knows that I am prone to both car sickness and sea-sickness and is used to "the obvious reaction". On Thursday I am over to Missenden Road way again to be podded and poked by the opthalmologist. I think the main thing he is going to do is to check whether my retina has fallen off its perch.

However, the week is not all medical tests. Tomorrow, I train up to The Blue Mountains to spend the day with the wonderful Joan Elizabeth. Wednesday I get to tour over State Parliament House in Macquarie Street. Thursday I get an introductory tour over the State Library and then on Friday I get to look after my daughter's cat as she and Darren choof over to Hawaii for a week to attend a friend's wedding.

Retirement is okay thus far.

9 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

Looks like a really pleasant space and it's overlooking your lovely portable garden. And what a busy lifestyle!! I'm so looking forward to meeting you tomorrow ... see ya then ... gotta cook a batch of scones for afternoon tea before I go meet you at Leura in the morning.

Unseen India Tours said...

Fantastic home !! Beautifully designed.Unseen Rajasthan

Martina said...

Hmm :-) - seems like you are doing really really well with your retirement. That's nice!

It is also nice to see where one sits when she is blogging, now I know!

Have a nice day with Joan Elizabeth!

Julie said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you that the pile of bits of turned pine beside my computer desk is a table I am constructing. And the piece of pressed board behind the door covered with a potato sack is so that I can work out a way of protecting the staghorn from the heat generated by the brick wall on which it hangs.

You need to know all this ... of course.

Martina said...

turned pine > I thought this might be a xylophon :-)

staghorn > where???

:-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, full days and great room. Hutch looks craftsman to me. Quarter sown oak? I have one quite similar, and with the same drawer pulls.

Did I tell you we have a family bible with entries going back to the late 1500's? Apparently the first Bugge sprouted in Denmark.

Julie said...

Karin: I don't know the term "quarter sown oak". To me this is just made of pine. Everything that is within my pocketbook is made of plantation pine. Oft times I will purchase what I want as buff pine and do the staining myself. The stain will be "rustic" which is the effect but also the name. I have two lounge seaters which have a rosewood frame and arms, but it is the rich red rosewood not the Chinese light brown rosewood. This is very hard to match other bits of furniture with. Pine is easy.

Now to the bible: I would love to know more. I know it does not fit into the style for your blog though. Work on how to weave it in, huh? Maybe a photo or so ... ??

Hah. Have just googled and it is "quarter sawn oak" and refers to the method of dealing with the grain during the cutting period. Have a look here http://barnyardgazette.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-is-quarter-sawn-oak.html

That would be way expensive now both in labour and in waste material.

Unknown said...

You are making a fine nest in your new digs. It looks very cozy. I like that your work space looks out onto the lovely patio. A person could do good work there.

Julie said...

Thank you, Bill. I am hoping to expand upon my writing in this wonderful space.