Friday, September 21, 2012

'Guess Who' has gone anime


On Monday gone, I introduced Alannah to the board game, 'Guess Who', using the very same copy that I played with my children 25 years ago. The box is stamped 1980. There is only one of the flip-characters broken, all the cards are present, and each of the little yellow scorer pegs is even still present. However, of the 24 characters, only 5 are women, and the deck is not very multicultural. Suffice to say, I suspect it reflects 1950s England, perhaps.



However, when I went into Dymocks in George Street (knowing they have two walls of board-games), I was immensely disappointed. The version on the shelf was called 'Guess Who Extra' and was electronic. Not what I am after for a 2 year old ... nor probably an any-year-old. At the age of two, I modify the rules to suit her evolving ability. We do not play the 'identify by elimination' aspect of the game ... as yet. I will say to her 'Knock over anyone who has glasses'. Which she does with gusto. However, she is not ready for the converse of that 'Knock over anyone who does not have glasses'. The other thing about the electronic version is that the price tag said $65. A misprint, surely.



I did find and (*she blushes*) buy a Travel-sized version put out by a competitor called 'Who's Who'. However, everything is way too small, and the little 'lids' get stuck. Nowhere near as much fun as the larger version. So I came back here and googled, which, yes yes, I should have done to begin with. There is a non-electronic version available, and it has been updated. I include a view of it here. Look at those characters! How 'Astro Boy' are they? Yuck yuck yuck. And their essential identifying characteristics are less obvious. I reckon they are, anyway. However, they are equally divided re gender representation nowadays: 12/12 a piece. However, they also have additional sheets that are able to be downloaded and printed off at home to freshen-up the characters. Some simply do not appeal, but that is probably old sick-in-the-mud me. Characters like: Dinosaurs, Creepy Creatures, Easter, and others. The differences are not defined enough. However, I did not mind the Sports sheet, and will get a bit of higher GSM board to print them out for next week.


4 comments:

diane b said...

Love the hats! She sure is a clever cookie. I was a bit suspicious of Fox playing ipad games but after investigating them they were not too bad. Sonya finds the iPad is good for times like in the aeroplane for 13 hours.

Julie said...

Yes, yes ... Kirsten uses her iPad and iPhone for the same thing. But she is also having issues modifying the demand for the iPlay. It is a bit like an addiction.

Joan Elizabeth said...

I am not familiar with this board game. Love the photo of you two in your hats. You look like sleuths.

And such style the little lady has with her frilly skits, boots and hat.

Joan Elizabeth said...

Oh yes, i addiction is not just for kids. Think of the thousands upon thousands of people replacing their perfectly good iphones this week for the latest model which is barely any better than the last one.