Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Busy as a beaver


Not sure what the official title of this is, but Alannah Jane took to it yesterday with alacrity. She barely needed any 'showing': 'Alannah can do it, Ma; Alannah can do it!' She perhaps needed encouragement to whack harder with the hammer, however, she used a clenched fist when she thought the hammer too slow! I guess she concentrated solidly for nigh on thirty minutes on this one activity. The table covering was new, too, and that whacked her eyeballs out to begin with!



We have lots of indoor activities before we go outside to jump, throw, climb steps, and play with sand. We used to 'sort' a lot but that is by-the-way now. In the dining room there are two tables on which we do: colouring-in; play-dough; and, Cuisenaire Rods. This week, I introduced Rummikub and Draughts. There are so many skills covered by simple games like this: NOT scattering everything on the floor is not the least of them! I am also partial to the card packs put out by Usborne in the UK, although the temptation to use them as flashcards can overwhelm too early. I have an old box of 'Guess Who' which I will update. I think it is a game that Alannah will adore.


3 comments:

diane b said...

You are such a good teacher, Ma.

Kay L. Davies said...

She appears to be contemplating everything seriously, perhaps expecting the wisdom of the ages to be revealed beneath her hammer. And who says it won't? She's a wise, sweet little girl, Julie. Aren't you lucky?
K

Julie said...

I am not sure about the 'wise', Kay, but she sure is sweet. Rather than wise, I suspect she was just engrossed. The tacks are very fiddly for her.

Dianne - I am conscious that Alannah is not just at my place because her Mummy works. She is at my place for a similar quality of 'care' that she receives at Kindy. I am involved ALL day. At Kindy she has a range of adults AND a range of playmates. Here she has me. It is different in scope, yet deeper in quality. I keep it moving along, and I keep the activities getting more complex and demanding week by week. I concentrate on her imagination, and on her dexterity.

And I love her to bits.

I am also aware that when I was bringing my children up, I had NO family support. I have vowed to myself (and to Kirsten) that she will have as much support as I can possibly give.