Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Still life with fur


A precedent is a pretty silly thing to set!

Once upon a time, my cats, Sylvie and Sellie, were happy with the odd scratch, maybe every other day. Maybe just an absent-minded scritch behind the left ear. Not anymore. No siree ... Not any more.

Now, they come to me. And if I pay scant notice, they sit on my keyboard and thwack my cheek. Whadda we want? A scritch. When da we wanit? ... you get my drift.

However, I have come to realise there is lots in this for me. Less hair inside, for starters. Less asthmatic reaction, for seconds. And a very healthy, toned pair of cats into the bargain.

Now to the mug of coffee ... I used to make my own each morning. Just Moccona and hot water with a dash of milk. Not any more. Jools has wisened up - past participle of 'to wizen'. She now nips across the bus layby and into the corner shop for a 'large flat white, no sugar' for $3.80. And what a delight it is, and I only need one to keep me going all day!

Finally, here is a bud forming on a segment of the Holiday Succulent that I was given over the weekend. What joy!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Coffee, how it tames the wild beast inside......Counting the hours until my next cup..........so relaxing and good.

Joan Elizabeth said...

Never having drunk coffee (can't stand the taste) I don't really know the benefits of it for brightening ones day. But I do know the joys of a purring cat (before they started giving me hay fever).

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I would definitely choose a cup of coffee bought at a coffee shop over a cup I brewed, any day.

diane b said...

I'm sure i put a comment here but it 'aint' here. Gobbled up in cyberspace or flown away with my bad memory. Anyway the succulent looks like a Zygocactus, they call them Christmas Cactus n the northern hemisphere as they flower in winter. It will be pretty soon. I wonder which colour it will have?

Julie said...

Yes, Altadena Hiker (Karin) identified it in the comment on the previous post. STrange you should say that, I am forever losing comments.

I think this might be a white one, but I nicked from a couple of different plants!!

freefalling said...

I don't want to put the moxy on your cactus - but mine grew a lovely bud and I waited and waited and waited for it to grow into a flower - but before it did - it plopped off onto the ground.