Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Go forth and multiply


The Azalea "Red Wing" is a double hose-in-hose variety that is usually very hardy. I say usually, because last year I lost one of the three I had planted in my front courtyard. So the weekend before last as I readied the remaining plants for their growth prior to the July flowering season, I pruned a number of branches.

I dipped each of the maybe 8 stalks into a rooting compound and slipped them into individual holes in my gardenia bed. Lo and behold, I think there are four that are showing signs of being ready to put down roots and take on a life of their own.

2 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

You are such a "gardener". I fear I am just too lazy for the task. Nonetheless I have lots of azaleas ( and quite a few the didn't survive the drought)...the bank around the cyprus has dwarf ones which flower in November and on the south side there are quite a lot of mature ones in what I call "azalea walk" which springs to life around Sept-Oct. There are also one in the middle garden at the back which I notice has began to flower this week which is normal for it.

Julie said...

Not really - I am a fiddler. I don't have a lot of down time: I have projects. The saving grace with me is that I don't watch TV - except when I iron.

Reg'n'Allan - the old couple about 4 doors up - have only azaleas and ground cover in their front garden. I was chatting with them yesterday (I chat with nearly all my neighbours: I live in a friendly street)and Allan sprays them regularly with confidor to stop lace bug, etc. Half of them are flowering right now and look quite gorgeous. I reckon I will transplant these cuttings into the front maybe on Monday.