Saturday, May 25, 2013

The value of picket fences


They don't have to be white, these picket fences. Hell, they don't even have to be literal. Upon reflection, they are a state of mind, and considering the connotation is way more powerful than the denotation these days, they are better as a figment.


I remember my lone trip to Tasmania between Christmas and New Year's 2004, and trying to fathom what threw me about Launceston, until it dawned on me that it was the picket-fence-figment. Here I was from Waterloo in Sydney, walking the WASP streets of northern Tasmania, with nary a turned-over-garbage, a needle-filled-gutter, a turban, or an attitude, a hijab or a foreign language spoken at ten-to-the-dozen. My new abode is a bit like this. I say a bit, because a decade has passed, and old barriers constantly tumble.


In comparison with Paddington, I feel that we are living on acreage. Yesterday, Alannah and I visited Hamish's yard. We have an open invitation, you see. We held hands, chanted the cross-the-road-mantra, and pushed open his side gate, collecting Floyd the grey kitten as we entered. We watched the guinea pigs first, but they were too pre-occupied with Floyd. So we continued on, past the hoarded statuary, past the up-turned tinnie, until confronted by the padlocked chicken-coop, or hen-house, or chook-pen. Once solved, we squeezed in, leaving Floyd on the outer, whist encouraging an errant Silkie bantam back into the coop with us.

And the chooks didn't panic. They clucked and scuttled, but nothing approaching panic as though a fox had just flashed. Indeed, it took me a while to hunt here and there, to discover the two new-laid eggs, which I convinced Alannah to allow me to carry! That was how I discovered the possum, trying to hide in the cardboard box atop the laying-house. Petrified it was, and with good reason, I suppose. Had he come in to recover, or to die, I wondered. His back was covered with mange, his jumping abilities a shadow of their former self. He tried though, and we watched as he swung up and out onto the guttering of Hamish's house, and away. With two warm eggs in my jacket pockets, we sung 'Off to see the wizard', as we recrossed the roadway ...


And a little while later, having cut some left-over meat into small chunks, she and I perched our cheeks onto a rickety milk-crate eating one of Mumma's tea-cakes, as we watched our trio of Butcher Birds swoop in, gobble up some in their beak, then fly off to the safety of a nearby tree, before repeating the process. Ad nauseum.

All a bit like a blast-from-the-past really. The 1950s revisited. Figments of picket fences are all the go, up here in Ironbark.


3 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

Oh that chair in the last image, and the chooks ... the whole story very domestic and 1950s. You are obviously having fun.

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, yes, definitely 1950s revisited. Kittens and bantam hens. And the early 50s, at that.
How wonderful.
Funny how the birds are brave enough to keep returning (ad nauseum, as you said) but not brave enough to stay to eat their fill.
What fun, though.
And Alannah is growing up happy, isn't she?
K

Joan Elizabeth said...

I keep loving that top shot ... it has such a Christopher Robin feel about it.