Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Saving grace


Every time that I move my place of abode, and it has been fairly frequent in the last 15 years, I declaim in my over-the-top way, that I must have dirt. I need to be rooted. Where I am at the moment is fairly expensive (and getting moreso with each contract), but the size of the outside is nearly as big as the size of the inside, and this suits me just fine. Not only does it sustain the inner me, but it also enables me to play host for play-dates with my grand-daughter, Alannah.


There have been, and continue to be, so many wild'n'wooly things happening in my 'greater' life in the last 12 months, that my daughter and I have agreed that it is time to move onto the next phase. We have agreed to find housing that suits her young family, and includes me as well. We are giving ourselves this calendar year to sort it out, and to find a property. They are all horribly expensive, and there is a specific layout that we are after. We have found one, but it is on the market now and we are not ready to action anything just yet. What we do know is that neither of us want to be involved with residental care for me, if we can sort an alternative.

But it will have a garden, and she is more than happy, nay overjoyed, if I were to take that on as my own personal fiefdom!

8 comments:

Joan Elizabeth said...

What an interesting and changeful life you have Julie. The photos are terrific especially the geranium at the bottom.

diane b said...

Another bit of excitement in your life for 2012. How kind is your daughter and SIL to be prepared to do this for you. I guess they get a gardner and a baby sitter in exchange. Whenever the urge to garden overwhelms you , you are welcome to come here and play all day in my garden.

Julie said...

They are actually considering it for two reasons: it is good for me; and, it is good for Alannah. We all get along really well, I think.

Julie said...

Oh, and the fact that visiting someone (anyone) in a nursing home sucks big time ... to quote Kirsten.

freefalling said...

OH how exciting!!
You aren't nursing home material yet, are you?

Wanna move to Ararat?
We have lots of nice houses available at reasonable prices.
And you and Vince can catch the train to Melb together when you need to visit your respective doctors (he's just come back with a couple of new maladies).

And see?
Your photos show you have lots of lovely, healthy plants.

Julie said...

Yeah, well I only show the HEALTHY ones!

What new maladies? 'Fess up ... I will email.

Not nursing home yet, but I (we) have learnt that you need to have plans established early, as age is a nefarious bloody syndrome.

Kay L. Davies said...

I have so many conflicting opinions on this subject, Julie (and I don't mean the subject of geraniums) but I think the important part of the whole idea is you and Alannah.
Luv, K

Endless Waterfall said...

Oh dear, I completely missed this post. Lemme tell you: you are right. If you can prepare now, then do it. I am so pleased that you get alng well enough with Kirsten and Darren for this to be an option. This will help retain independence for as long as possible and yet give you the time & privacy you need.