Sunday, December 18, 2011

Three steps empty and two steps full


It is all very confusing and disheartening at the moment. It could be the weather. It could be me. More likely a combination of the two. I am losing plants more than I like at the moment, and I cannot figure out why. I lost a Redwing Azalea. I lost a French Lavender. I lost a lime, and my lemon is not firing on all cyclinders. Now my Wollemi Pine has curvature of the spine. I also have an influx of pests. More snails than normal. White butterflies chasing the tomatoes that I have and the guy in the flat above me has. Because I spray my tomatoes, the WB lays on nearly everything else. I have to be assiduous in looking under leaves for green caterpillars. I also have an invasion of sucking midges, which are keen on my 'erbs. Trials and tribulations.


Anyway, here are some Rockmelons I am growing from seed using the 'market forces' philosophy. Give them a chance to prove their mettle, and then weed out the runts of the litter. I shall weed down to perhaps four, and then see how that goes. Neither the pumpkin nor the zucchini is overwhelming me with produce. They don't seem to be able to carry fruit to term.

Here is an afternoon shot of my courtyard. I wonder if I do not get enough direct sunlight to be successful with a veggie garden.

3 comments:

freefalling said...

Bummer.
Those cabbage moths are little #@XX#@.
They decimated some of my plants last year.
But I just decided to let 'em do it.
If I plant bok choy or zucchinis or any of those other plants they like again - I'll build a little shade cloth cage around them so the cabbage moths can't get in and lay eggs.
But I didn't plant them this year - I planted stuff I know won't get pests - you know, onions, garlic, potatoes.
And I can't remember the cabbage moths getting at the tomatoes.
I had to build a little house for the strawberries so the black birds won't steal them - I just cut some cheap hula hoops in half and used some old shade cloth I had.
I had 2 rockmelons in last year and they did nuthin!

You're right - lots of trialling til you find what works in your space.

Kay L. Davies said...

Our growing season is so short, I can only put in bedding plants, not seeds. When nothing much happens, like last year, Dick points out how much we paid for plants. I knew I shouldn't have let him go to the nursery with me. We ended up with nothing, no edible anythings, after having lots and lots of zucchini blossoms. We should have eaten those.
K

Julie said...

Thanks for your comments, Letty & Kay. We have excellent length to our growing season, Kay. We don't have the extremes of hot and cold that you endure. What I think I am sufferig from at the moment is and excess of rain. I think they are suffering from sodden feet!

Letty, I need to start my tomatoes earlier next year, and have a cover organised PLUS have a more professional staking system. Neither the zucchini nor the pumpkin is doing star turns, but I think the zucchini is the better of the two. I think the strawberry is okay, but need more time.

Don't know what to do about my poor Wollemi Pine. I will go google it right now.