Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Utility vs beauty


Swirling through the ether, the mantra is 'think global, act local'. I struggle to understand the emotions of standing in a large barn of an assembly hall whilst a voice booms over a PA '64 Sanderson Road - 100% destroyed'. I likewise struggle with how people can cope with the stench of river mud through 100% of their house, or lying for weeks through their paddocks. Or their house blown 100m up the road and all their possessions scattered. It has been and is, a trying summer. So, in a paradoxical way, my issues are the least of my worries.


I have a small courtyard, covered in tiles, surrounded by two storey terraces, except on the SW side - which is a road. The damage from the week plus of 32+ temperatures was more ambient heat than anything else. My garden was tended morning and evening.

I came to figs late in life, but am a devotee. My nostrils fill with the aroma of standing under a laden fig tree in the south of France in September 2008, the ripe fruit bursting from the pods. This year my tree has been equally laden. I have already eaten half a dozen . But now I have an issue. Most of my garden is ornamental, for pleasure rather than survival. I want to move the percentage just a little but worry about the lack of depth to the soil, and my own ability to cope with the workload.


It will always be the garden of a dilettante. I would love to have tomatoes tumbling down the wrought iron, but know that the grub of the white butterfly would make this a futile endeavour. What would you suggest? Perhaps zucchini or capsicum or rockmelon. Or green pea-pods dangling from a trellis.

3 comments:

diane b said...

Those figs look delicious. Is the tree in a pot? If so wow you sure have a green thumb. What about a passionfruit vine for crawling over a trellis or a grape vine.

Julie said...

Ooo ... I had not thought of a passionfruit vine. Shall read up on it and see if it is attractive to the white butterfly. i have two pots that were desigbed for tomatoes and want to join them with a trellis of some kind.

Yes, the fig is in a tub.

freefalling said...

Oh I nearly missed this post!
Those figs look magnificent.

I have just started experimenting with growing vegies in pots.
I've got some spring onions, cayenne chillies, bok choy, capsicum, zucchini(one especially for containers).
They are just babies at the moment.
I planted them as seeds.
And I transplanted the artichoke from the vegie patch into a big pot.

What about strawberries?
I love growing them - probably coz they taste so good and they look purdy.
Oh and onions - they are easy to grow and they have that nice uppy looking foliage.
Oh and pumpkin - they look good and can trail and are virtually indestructible.

Why can't utility and beauty co-exist - that's my philosophy with my vegie patch. That's why I planted roses and nasturtiums and scabiosas and alyssum in the plot.
And I planted the parsley with the azaleas and the mint with the oleander and geraniums with the fruit trees.